Georgia Notary Public's
The office of the Clerk of Superior Court approves and issues commissions of notary public. Each commission is for a term of four years and may be renewed prior to the expiration of the notary’s term of office.
Notary applications must be completed online, then print your notary application and follow the instructions that are printed with your notary package. A current (within the past 30 days) criminal history must be provided with the application.
Power & Duties
Notary Publics have the authority within any county in the State of Georgia to:
- Witness or attest signature or execution of deeds and other written instruments.
- Take acknowledgments.
- Administer oaths and affirmations which are not by law required to be administered by a particular officer.
- Witness affidavits upon oath or affirmation.
- Take verifications upon oath or affirmation.
- Make certified copies, provided that the document presented for copying is an original document and is neither a public record nor a publicly recorded document certified copies of which are available from an official source other than a notary, and provided further that the document was photocopied under supervision of the notary.
- Such other acts as notaries are authorized to perform by the laws of the State of Georgia.
- A “notarial act” means any act that a notary is authorized to perform and included, attestations, the taking of an acknowledgement, the administration of an oath or affirmation, the taking of a verification upon oath or affirmation, and certification of a copy.
- “Attesting” and “attestation” are the notarial acts of witnessing or attesting a signature or execution of a deed or other written instrument, where such notarial act does not involve the taking of an acknowledgement, the administering of an oath or affirmation, the taking of a verification, or the certification of a copy.
- “Notarial certificate” is the notary’s documentation of a notarial act.
- Application: $42
- Renewal: $42
- You must bring in a valid driver's license along with the $42 application fee.
- The Notary Seal must be purchased from an office supply company, and the cost will be in addition to the $42 application fee.