Public Transit System
The Morgan County Transit System provides public transportation for all persons. The purpose of this service is to enable those in Morgan County who do not have transportation, access to the grocery store, place of employment, doctors' appointments, etc.
This service is available to anyone in Morgan County for trips within the county. Those wishing to take advantage of this service must make reservations by 4:45 p.m. the business day before they need transportation to guarantee service. Same day trip requests will only be honored if space is available. The number to call to schedule transportation is (706) 342-4052. Our buses operate Monday – Friday. The first available pickup time is 6:00 a.m. and the last available pickup time is 5:15 p.m. Transportation to/from areas outside City of Madison may be limited, especially in the early morning and late afternoon. If you need to cancel a trip, please call our office at (706) 342-4052.
- Inside city limits: $1.25 per trip (stop)
- Outside city limits: $1.50 per trip (stop)
- We offer trips to Covington every Monday and Wednesday for $16.00 round trip. Depart Madison at 8:15a.m. and Departs Covington at 3:00 p.m.Please call the office at 706.342.4052 for more information and scheduling.
- We now offer trips monthly on the first Tuesday of each month to Athens for medical appointments. The fare is $25 round trip. Please call the office at 706.342.4052 for more information and scheduling.
Exact change. Our drivers do not carry change and we do not accept credit/debit cards or checks
- Must schedule by 4:45 p.m. the business day before needed to guarantee trip
- Transportation within Morgan County only
- No-shows are responsible for the trip fare
- Please cancel within one hour of scheduled trip
Policies & Procedures
- To ensure safety of passengers, seat-belts must be worn
- Eating, drinking, and smoking are not permitted on board Morgan County Transit vehicles. Food and beverages may only be carried on board if securely closed in spill-proof containers.
- Intoxicated passengers will be refused transportation.
- Seats at the front of the van are reserved for seniors and persons with disabilities. Please use these seats only if necessary, and make them available to handicapped passengers.
- Please do not talk to the operator while the vehicle is in motion. Safety is our top priority, and your operator’s full attention needs to be on driving.
- Music may only be played if headphones are used and volume is set low enough so as not to disturb other passengers.
- Minors 14 years and younger must be accompanied by an adult. Preschool children and infants are required to follow the car seat safety standards according to the Department of Transportation. Car seats must be provided by passengers. Transit does not furnish this equipment.
- Passengers are only allowed to transport packages they are able to carry themselves. Drivers are not required to assist with packages.
- Drivers can assist passengers in boarding and disembarking the vehicle (or door to door). Drivers are not allowed to enter homes, or lose sight of the vehicle.
- Pets are not permitted on board Morgan County Transit vehicles, unless they are certified assistance animals.
- Persons who abuse this policy are subject to service cancellation and suspension.
Closed on Holidays
Morgan County Transit System does not operate on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- MLK Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day - Fourth of July)
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day and following Friday
- Two holidays for Christmas Day
Morgan County Transit operates its service without regard to race, color and national origin in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act. Any person who believes she or he has been aggrieved by any unlawful discriminatory practice under Title VI may file a complaint with Director, Morgan County Transit. A complainant may file a complaint directly with the Federal Transit Administration by filing a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights, Attention:
Title VI Program Coordinator
1200 New Jersey Avenue SE
Washington, DC 20590
Morgan County Transit will provide wheelchair accommodation provided the chair does not exceed the following dimensions: 30 inches in width, 48 inches in length and the weight of the chair, when occupied, does not exceed 600 pounds.
Reasonable Accommodation (modification of policies and practices)
Morgan County Transit will make reasonable modifications to policies, practices, or procedures when the modifications are necessary to avoid discrimination on the basis of disability or to provide program accessibility to its services, subject to the limitations of Federal Regulations § 37.169(c)(1)–(3). Individuals requesting modifications to Morgan County Transit service shall contact the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Coordinator, Mark Williams at 706.342.4052, and describe what they need in order to use the service. Individuals requesting modifications are not required to use the term “reasonable modification” when making a request.
Civil Rights Complaint Form and ADA Complaint Form